Olympics!

I love the Olympics.  Love them.  I get all giddy and geeky and am pretty much glued to my TV for the 2 weeks or so that they go on.  Tonight's opening ceremony was somber.  In case you haven't heard, Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili was killed today on a practice run.  The video of it happening is pretty disturbing.  It was incredible to watch his team walk in tonight.  They all wore black arm bands and their flag had a black ribbon on it.  Definitely made me tear up when the entire crowd gave them a standing ovation.  This small eastern European country has seen much trouble and heartache politically and now this.  My prayers go out to his team, who had to have been close to him, who now do these games in his memory. 


I love the winter olympics.  Some people just think that they're okay, but I really love the winter Olympics.  I love figure skating and moguls and speed skating and bobsled and luge and skeleton and snow jumping and curling.  Yes, even curling.  I love it all.  I track the medal count online.  I feel great pride every time I hear the National Anthem being played when one of our guys gets a medal.  And I am proud to be an American.  I look forward to what these games are going to mean for our country.  Our sense of pride.  Our unity as one nation.  I think we can all use some good news and some cheer.  So come on Team USA!  Let's rock it out!


0 comments:

Post a Comment